TruthInvestigate

“Oh, the unspeakable greatness of that exchange,—the Sinless One is condemned, and he who is guilty goes free; the Blessing bears the curse, and the cursed is brought into blessing; the Life dies, and the dead live; the Glory is whelmed in darkness, and he who knew nothing but confusion of face is clothed with glory.”

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingsland, Georgia, United States

A person God turned around many times.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

The patience of God

Today, I was invited to a friend’s Sunday school and I went. I’ve been to other Sunday Schools when I have been able to go. I have found every experience without exception to be just like Sabbath School.

The different church’s worship services I haven’t really enjoyed; but I have always enjoyed the Sunday Schools because the Bible was opened and discussed. I could express my understanding of scripture and try to steer the group to a deeper knowledge of the Bible, as Jesus has helped us learn through His messenger.

It’s like giving a Bible study to a group, except that they invited me, not the other way around. Nevertheless, I can open a fuller understanding of the word of God to them by bringing in the Old Testament and the purpose and authority of the Law of God, which gives the gospel such fullness and power, and which the Sunday-keepers need. And I have found many of them to be receptive to more truth. There are many converted Christians and others genuinely seeking that experience in the other churches.

Today the topic of study was Luke chapter 8, where Jairus asked Jesus to heal his daughter who was on the brink of death. Then as Jesus went to heal her, the crowds slowed Jesus incredibly. Then to make matters slower and even later in getting to the dying girl, a woman with the issue of blood touched Jesus and was healed.

The teacher mentioned that Jesus was never hurried or stressed because of being delayed. He was always committed to God’s will, and that even when Lazarus was sick “unto death” Jesus tarried. It was all in His Father’s will that the delays happened. Jesus never got impatient or raised His voice with the crowd of jostling people. He just moved at their speed, quietly and caringly, gently enjoying the company and being in God’s will. He wasn’t on His own agenda. His principle of life was, “I can of Mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and My judgment is just; because I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me.” (Jn. 5:30).

The newly converted and peace-filled Israel, speaking to Esau, revealed the gentleness of God. “And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and the flocks and herds with young are with me: and if men should overdrive them one day, all the flock will die. Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.” (Gen. 33:13,14).

“Thy gentleness [as a virtue of the Lord] hath made me great.” (Ps. 18:35). “Ye…have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.” (Jas. 5:11).

If the Son of God is gentle and patient with His Father’s will, what a loss of stress and a boon to health would we enjoy if we would also follow His example! “The Lord is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for Him.” (Is. 30:18). And if the Son is gentle and patient with sinners, so is His Father, our Father, the “Father of all.” (Eph. 4:6).

Great is Thy [gentleness], O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
Great is Thy [gentleness]! Great is Thy [gentleness]!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy [gentleness], Lord unto me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home