TruthInvestigate

“Oh, the unspeakable greatness of that exchange,—the Sinless One is condemned, and he who is guilty goes free; the Blessing bears the curse, and the cursed is brought into blessing; the Life dies, and the dead live; the Glory is whelmed in darkness, and he who knew nothing but confusion of face is clothed with glory.”

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingsland, Georgia, United States

A person God turned around many times.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Spiritually minded

My best times of meditation are in the quietude of the early mornings. The silence beckons peace; sleep has provided rest to the mind. The Spirit of God moves like the morning mists upon the mountain valleys. His doctrine drops as the rain, His speech distills as the dew, “as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.” (Deut. 32:2). He publishes the name of the Lord to me and ascribes greatness to my God.

“For the Lord speaketh once, yea twice…when deep sleep falleth upon men, in the slumberings upon the bed; then He openeth the ears of man, and sealeth their instruction.” (Job 33:14-16).

The day is so crowded with activity that I find it often impossible to think on heavenly things, although the Lord graciously perseveres to bless me with wonderful, encouraging thoughts of Him. Never were truer words written, “To be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” (Rom. 8:6). Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside! Great is His faithfulness!

But when the day crowds out Jesus, I walk through a dry and thirsty land. I feel like Mary in the garden, “They have taken away my Lord; and I know not where they have laid Him.” (Jn. 20:13). And until I have Him back, grief is my lot, while I continually say, “Where is my God?”

Why must I be limited to early mornings, quiet times, or breakthroughs to commune with Jesus? Why must my walk be less than continuous? Why can’t I walk in holy, life-giving communication like Enoch walked so continuously? Why can’t I pass the busiest of days like Jesus, steeped in activity, yet contemplative of the Law and the works of His Father?

The smoke of my torment ascendeth up forever and ever and I have no rest day nor night when my Savior is not near. How true it is, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (Jn. 3:36).

Yet it is our privilege to sup with Jesus. His table is made ever ready for guests; His showbread is piled six deep. We will not find in it anything that causes us to puff ourselves up—it is emptied of self. But His words are spiritual and they are life, sprinkled with salt. His unleavened bread may seem dry, but His cups are full with freshly pressed red wine and His bowls are filled with butter and honey.

So let’s accept His invitation, as oft as we hear it offered, to come to the study of His words and to meditate on what we studied, comparing spiritual things with spiritual, “precept upon precept...line upon line...here a little, and there a little.” (Is. 28:10).

And at the time of the end “many shall run to and fro; and knowledge shall be increased.” (Dan. 12:4). Maybe we’re almost there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home