TruthInvestigate

“Oh, the unspeakable greatness of that exchange,—the Sinless One is condemned, and he who is guilty goes free; the Blessing bears the curse, and the cursed is brought into blessing; the Life dies, and the dead live; the Glory is whelmed in darkness, and he who knew nothing but confusion of face is clothed with glory.”

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingsland, Georgia, United States

A person God turned around many times.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

The powerful law of conviction

“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Rom. 8:2).

What is this law? It comes from Christ. It brings with it the Spirit of life. It can make us free from the law of sin and death. But what is that law? What is it like to have it? I believe in the Old Testament we have some examples of that “law”. A law can be more than words engraved in a slab of stone. A law can be more than a list of dos and don’ts. A law means power, literally, literally the power of God unto salvation. We see this law, the power of God in Jeremiah and Balaam.

We say that gravity is a law. If you jump up and you will come back to earth. The landing can hurt, depending on how high you got before returning. That demonstrates the power of a law. I weigh X number of pounds because of a law. That law is power, power to keep me earth-bound. So much power is in the law of gravity that to overcome that law Apollo Saturn V used 947,459 gallons of fuels and the Space Shuttle used 1.1 million pounds (550 tons) of solid rocket fuel to overcome the power of gravity. That is a lot of power in the rockets to create an equal and opposite power of gravity. I believe that kind of power gives us an object lesson for the power of God unto our salvation. The gravity of His holiness will keep us from falling into sin. The power of His presence abiding in us will keep us abiding in Him.

There are other laws. Fear is a law. Nothing takes control of the mind like fear does. For many self-indulgence is a law over the mind. For others greed and covetousness and envy are a law. But, the most enjoyable law is disinterested, self-sacrificing love. “Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death.” (Song 8:6).

Laws are the message that Paul was putting forth in his Romans 7 wrestling. He wanted the good and holy law to control him, but another law possessed his reins.

“If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.” (Rom. 7:16-23).

Then Paul finds a third law besides a captivity to the law of death and a captivity to the law of righteousness. Jesus, the Law of love incarnate, fulfills the Law of holiness and righteousness and goodness. It’s the sight of Jesus that delivers us from our bodies’ laws of death. Beholding Him will grab us and turn us “into another man” (1Sam. 10:6). “The Law of Thy mouth” (Ps. 119:72) will eject the devil from us. Through faith in His words He will rule over the affairs of our mind. They are all precious promises. Thus, the power of Jesus will overcome the power of Satan.

“Many times did He deliver them… He regarded their affliction, when He heard their cry.” (Ps. 106:43,44).

“Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine. And He smote His enemies in the hinder parts: He put them to a perpetual reproach.” (Ps. 78:65,66).

The Spirit of life from the crucified only-begotten Son of God will douse Satan’s law of self-preservation and pride. The pouring out of His soul unto eternal death will make our obedience to righteousness possible. Our Saviour’s commandment will take control, as His Father’s commandment always took control of Him.

“For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.” (John 12:49,50).

Jesus spoke for His Father. Christ was the premier prophet, the Prophet of prophets. He exemplified in His life all that He had required of His servants, the Old Testament prophets. Under the power of the control of the pre-incarnate Christ the prophets spoke the will of His Father. “Therefore thus saith the LORD, If thou return, then will I bring thee again, and thou shalt stand before Me: and … thou shalt be as My mouth.” (Jer. 15:19). That is the power that He gives everyone who comes to Him, who is begotten of Him, and who abides with Him. Jeremiah, as with all the prophets, found themselves dwelling so fully in Christ, “Abide in Me...” (John 15:4) and living under the power of Christ, “... and I in you” (John 15:4), that their primary focus was not on the world outside. Their attention was on living under Jesus’ gaze. The prophets had the privilege given the holy pair in Eden. It was only after leaving Christ to eat of the forbidden tree that “they then for the first time turned their attention to the external.” Story of Redemption, p. 38. But, all their life prior to that day their attention had remained completely forgetful of self. Likewise the prophets, the holy men of God.

Case in point, Jeremiah. He was completely oblivious of the danger that his office of prophet put upon him. “The Lord hath given me knowledge of it, and I know it: then Thou shewedst me their doings. But I was like a lamb or an ox that is brought to the slaughter; and I knew not that they had devised devices against me, saying, Let us destroy the tree with the fruit thereof, and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may be no more remembered.” (Jer. 11:18,19).

“As many as received Him, to them gave He power [G1849, exousia, “ability”, “privilege”, “force”, “capacity”, competency, freedom, or “mastery”, “superhuman”, “potentate”, “token of control”, “delegated influence”, “authority”] to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” (John 1:12,13).

With Christ in the heart, and the meekness, hope, and confidence in Christ that He brings when His Spirit takes control, the child of God receives a full rest and release from all concerns for self. The promise, “I am thy shield and thy exceeding great reward.” (Gen. 15:1) is believed and rings true in their souls. That rest and release brings freedom to express all the thought of God to the sinner. God’s total disgust for sin comes through and men are boundened to hear of their standing before the Most High.

The Father’s “commandment is life everlasting”.  “The testimony of Jesus” endows the child of God with perfect discernment and delight. When the Spirit of Jesus enters, He “brings life and immortality to light” (2Tim. 1:10). “In Thy presence is fullness of joy; at Thy right hand are pleasures for ever more.” (Ps. 16:11).

We also see the powerful law of Christ’s word in His work of creation.

God said, Let there be light: and there was light….
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so….
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so….
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind….
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also….
And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind….
And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so….
And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.” (Gen. 1:3,6,7,9,11,12,14-16,20,21,24,26,27).

“By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth….  For He spake, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.” (Ps. 33:6,9).
“Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and My right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto then, they stand up together.” (Isa. 48:13).

We see the power of Christ upon Balaam.

“And Balaam said unto Balak, Lo, I am come unto thee: have I now any power at all to say any thing? the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak.” (Num. 22:38).

“And Balaam said unto Balak, Stand by thy burnt offering, and I will go: peradventure the LORD will come to meet me: and whatsoever He sheweth me I will tell thee. And he went to an high place. And God met Balaam: and he said unto Him, I have prepared seven altars, and I have offered upon every altar a bullock and a ram. And the LORD put a word in Balaam’s mouth, and said, Return unto Balak, and thus thou shalt speak.” (Num. 23:3-5).

“And he returned unto him, and, lo, he stood by his burnt sacrifice, he, and all the princes of Moab.
And he took up his parable, and said, Balak the king of Moab hath brought me from Aram, out of the mountains of the east, saying, Come, curse me Jacob, and come, defy Israel.
How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the LORD hath not defied?
For from the top of the rocks I see Him, and from the hills I behold Him: lo, the people shall dwell alone, and shall not be reckoned among the nations.
Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the Righteous, and let my last end be like His!” (Num. 23:6-10).

“And Balak said unto Balaam, What hast thou done unto me? I took thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast blessed them altogether. And he answered and said, Must I not take heed to speak that which the LORD hath put in my mouth?” (Num. 23:11,12).

“And the LORD met Balaam, and put a word in his mouth, and said, Go again unto Balak, and say thus.
And when he came to him, behold, he stood by his burnt offering, and the princes of Moab with him. And Balak said unto him, What hath the LORD spoken?
And he took up his parable, and said, Rise up, Balak, and hear; hearken unto me, thou son of Zippor:
God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man, that He should repent: hath He said, and shall He not do it? or hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good?
Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and He hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it.
He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath He seen perverseness in Israel: the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a King is among them.
God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.
Surely there is no enchantment against Jacob, neither is there any divination against Israel: according to this time it shall be said of Jacob and of Israel, What hath God wrought!
Behold, the people shall rise up as a great lion, and lift up himself as a young lion: he shall not lie down until he eat of the prey, and drink the blood of the slain.” (Num. 23:16-24).

“And Balak said unto Balaam, Neither curse them at all, nor bless them at all. But Balaam answered and said unto Balak, Told not I thee, saying, All that the LORD speaketh, that I must do?” (Num. 23:25,26).

“He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open: how goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, and thy tabernacles, O Israel!” (Num. 24:4,5).

“He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open: I shall see Him, but not now: I shall behold Him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.” (Num. 24:16,17).

We learn from Balaam’s experience that when Jesus takes control we lose control, we lose the controls of self. The flesh of a man cannot overpower the Spirit of the Creator. This is exactly what Paul needed, and ever afterward wanted.

“O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” (Rom. 7:24).
“I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Rom. 7:25).

The power of trusting in God’s promise takes control of God’s children and sanctifies their heart and mind. “The righteousness of faith” (Rom. 4:13) comes through the promised power from the Most High, the Spirit of the Promised One. “Sealed with that holy Spirit of promise” (Eph. 1:14), faith in His promise seals His power in us, “that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.” (Gal. 3:22). “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Rom. 8:2). The new power to obey the word of God witnessed to the believers that they were sons of God. Thus, all condemnation and fear ceased.

“The righteousness of faith” (Rom. 4:13), “the righteousness of God without the law… Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe” (Rom. 3:21,22), “the righteousness of the faith” (Rom. 4:11), “the gift of righteousness” (Rom. 5:17), “the righteousness of One … upon all men unto justification of life” (Rom. 5:18), “righteousness unto God” (Rom. 6:13), “the righteousness of God” (Rom. 10:3) is the law that takes over our nature and lives in us to will and do of His good pleasure. “The righteousness of God” (Rom. 10:3) is the same powerful source as the will of God. “By the which will we are sanctified.” (Heb. 10:10).

“...That I may win Christ, and be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the Law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death.” (Phil. 3:9,10).

We must give obedience to the Law, but our righteousness can’t come from the Law. It comes from the power of Christ provided “unto all”, but being “upon” only “all them that believe.” (Rom. 3:22). Only through faith might “the righteousness of the law ... be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Rom. 8:4). But, what exactly is faith? Faith sees “the offering of the body of Jesus” (Heb. 10:10), grasps that His offering was for the penetent one, and receives such a desire to serve God that faith is empowered to do all the will of God. It says, “Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do Thy will, O God.” (Heb. 10:7). “I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, Thy Law is within my heart.” (Ps. 40:8). Faith works. Otherwise, we don’t have Jesus’ Spirit, which is His power. And we are none of His.

Through His justifying forgiveness there is no condemnation, but rather peace with God. Looking to Jesus provides us the shield from the wrath of God. Thus Christ’s life and acceptance and power of righteousness makes us able to obey God. And, thus God is satisfied. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36).

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit”, that is, “the Spirit of Christ” (Rom. 8:1,9). It is in His Spirit that we have His power. Being in the Spirit we obey and can speak for Him.

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.” (Rom. 8:9,10).

“For we through the Spirit [of Christ] wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.” (Gal. 5:5).

And the promised Seed, “which is Christ” (Gal. 3:16), would create a whole generation, “a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people” (1Pet. 2:9), “the seed [that] should come to whom the promise was made.” (Gal. 3:19). “Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure.” (Rom. 4:16).

“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” (Gal. 5:22.23). The Spirit is the powerful law of life in Christ Jesus.

All who have sought His Spirit must be “fully persuaded that, what He had promised, He was able also to perform.” (Rom. 4:21). The following promise belongs to the messenger of Christ, “To him will I give power [exousia, authority] over the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of My Father.” (Rev. 2:26,27). “That … even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Rom. 5:21).

“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.” (Heb. 12:2). Overcome by Him, stunned by His conviction, frozen in our tracks and being “caught up into paradise”, is the inheritance to the saints in light. Hearing “unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter” (2Cor. 12:4), and clearly speaking those words that are humanly incomprehensible and unutterable--“This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of Me, saith the LORD.” (Isa. 54:17).

“And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the Angel which standeth upon the sea and upon the earth.
And I went unto the angel, and said unto Him, Give me the little book. And He said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey.
And I took the little book out of the Angel’s hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.
And He said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.” (Rev. 10:8-11).

The above last verse makes John represent God’s witnesses which had been plagued by a wicked Church during the Dark Ages. “These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.” (Rev. 11:4, cf Zech. 4:14). Those witnesses lived by the power of God. “Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Zech. 4:6). Today that wicked Church, via its fifth trumpet and sixth locust plagues, has been given authority from God to have its revenge on God’s church.

Yet God always gets the last word to the wicked one: “Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed.” (Job 38:11). And to His humbled and sealed church He will say, “I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things [daring things against God] . Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things.” (Joel 2:20,21).

By following after the Spirit, and through Him standing before His Father, the 144,000 will be empowered to boldly say to the Church, “As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.” (1Ki. 17:1).

The power of God unto salvation, “the power of the Highest” (Luke 1:35), is the seal of God in the forehead. The hearts and mouths and lives of the 144,000 will be circumspect. “And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.” (Gal. 4:6). Their hearts will be perfect toward the Lamb because they follow after the Spirit of the Lamb, which has “seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.” (Rev. 5:6). And so will their lives be perfect.

“These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” (Rev. 14:4,5).

With the power of the angels on their heads, and the testimonies in their hearts, they will pour forth the straight truth, and the truth will have effect.

“I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God’s people.
     I saw that the testimony of the True Witness has not been half heeded. The solemn testimony upon which the destiny of the church hangs has been lightly esteemed, if not entirely disregarded. This testimony must work deep repentance; all who truly receive it will obey it and be purified.  
     Said the angel, ‘List ye!’ Soon I heard a voice like many musical instruments all sounding in perfect strains, sweet and harmonious. It surpassed any music I had ever heard, seeming to be full of mercy, compassion, and elevating, holy joy. It thrilled through my whole being. Said the angel, ‘Look ye!’ My attention was then turned to the company I had seen, who were mightily shaken. I was shown those whom I had before seen weeping and praying in agony of spirit. The company of guardian angels around them had been doubled, and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. Their countenances expressed the severe conflict which they had endured, the agonizing struggle they had passed through. Yet their features, marked with severe internal anguish, now shone with the light and glory of heaven. They had obtained the victory, and it called forth from them the deepest gratitude and holy, sacred joy.  
     The numbers of this company had lessened. Some had been shaken out and left by the way. The careless and indifferent, who did not join with those who prized victory and salvation enough to perseveringly plead and agonize for it, did not obtain it, and they were left behind in darkness, and their places were immediately filled by others taking hold of the truth and coming into the ranks. Evil angels still pressed around them, but could have no power over them.  
     I heard those clothed with the armor speak forth the truth with great power. It had effect. Many had been bound; some wives by their husbands, and some children by their parents. The honest who had been prevented from hearing the truth now eagerly laid hold upon it. All fear of their relatives was gone, and the truth alone was exalted to them. They had been hungering and thirsting for truth; it was dearer and more precious than life. I asked what had made this great change. An angel answered, ‘It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel.’
     Great power was with these chosen ones. Said the angel, ‘Look ye!’ My attention was turned to the wicked, or unbelievers. They were all astir. The zeal and power with the people of God had aroused and enraged them. Confusion, confusion, was on every side. I saw measures taken against the company who had the light and power of God. Darkness thickened around them; yet they stood firm, approved of God, and trusting in Him. I saw them perplexed; next I heard them crying unto God earnestly. Day and night their cry ceased not: ‘Thy will, O God, be done! If it can glorify Thy name, make a way of escape for Thy people! Deliver us from the heathen around about us. They have appointed us unto death; but Thine arm can bring salvation.’ These are all the words which I can bring to mind. All seemed to have a deep sense of their unworthiness and manifested entire submission to the will of God; yet, like Jacob, every one, without an exception, was earnestly pleading and wrestling for deliverance.” Early Writings, p. 270-272.

“They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” (Isa. 40:31).

The fire and smoke and brimstone torments from the fifth and sixth trumpet locust plagues will be healed by the strong Spirit of truth, the powerful law of conviction.

“Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for He hath given you the former rain moderately, and He will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.
And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil.
And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, My great army which I sent among you.
And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and My people shall never be ashamed.
And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and My people shall never be ashamed.
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My Spirit.” (Joel 2:23-29).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home