TruthInvestigate

“Oh, the unspeakable greatness of that exchange,—the Sinless One is condemned, and he who is guilty goes free; the Blessing bears the curse, and the cursed is brought into blessing; the Life dies, and the dead live; the Glory is whelmed in darkness, and he who knew nothing but confusion of face is clothed with glory.”

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingsland, Georgia, United States

A person God turned around many times.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Hungering and thirsting after Jesus

“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” (Matt. 5:6).

Prior to conversion pride prevents learning of meekness and submission and obedience. Pride and self-sufficiency comprehend little, especially spiritual things. But once we have been humbled and converted, we are like little children, like formatted CDs, ready to soak up and retain everything, especially the big lessons in life. Life has a new luster and we find a new excitement in everything.

When a new heart and mind is implanted by the Lord, the new babe becomes ravenous for righteousness. Always hungry for truth, now a new appetite for wholesome, sober wisdom replaces the old perverted appetite for self-indulgence and self-exaltation in all its forms. The devil is not welcome anymore and has become helpless in tempting the soul into sin.

New tastes have taken control and the goodness of God, as revealed in Jesus, has become the new cuisine. “Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst.” (Jn. 6:35). He is the living water and the living bread, which if we eat and drink we will never thirst or hunger again.

If we are famished for something better than the empty chaff this world offers, righteousness and truth are what we need. And the only place we find the best picture of righteousness and truth is in the LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS, (Jer. 23:6) who said, “I Am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.” (Jn. 14:6). Better than the Law for sinners, such as we are—better than rules and regulations, as important as they are—Christ shows righteousness with love built into it, and He does this without destroying the righteousness or authority in His Father’s Law.

“Thou art fairer than the children of men: grace is poured into Thy lips: therefore God hath blessed Thee for ever. Gird Thy sword upon Thy thigh, O Most Mighty, with Thy glory and Thy majesty.” “My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the King: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” (Ps. 45:2,3,1).

Happy are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. This statement indicates that righteousness begins in the heart, not the life. Christ’s religion is not a paste-on garment. Rather it is an outgrowth from within; it is more like skin than clothes. Just as our epidermis is supplied by what we eat, so is character of Christ that He gives us through a diet of His own life and death. “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” (Prov. 4:23). Jesus’ promise is that we will be filled to overflowing. “My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.” (Ps. 23:5).

Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness won’t be filled all at once. But patiently as they pore over God’s special Book, little by little they comprehend this promise and that commandment, they see the nuance here and discover the hidden manna there. And thus they will grow up into the fullness of stature in Jesus, because no one can grow unless they are fed. As it is written, “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by Thy name, O Lord God of hosts.” (Jer. 15:16).

“In these days much is said concerning the nature and importance of ‘higher education.’ The true ‘higher education’ is that imparted by Him with whom ‘is wisdom and strength’ (Job 12:13), out of whose mouth ‘cometh knowledge and understanding.’ Proverbs 2:6.

“In a knowledge of God all true knowledge and real development have their source. Wherever we turn, in the physical, the mental, or the spiritual realm; in whatever we behold, apart from the blight of sin, this knowledge is revealed. Whatever line of investigation we pursue, with a sincere purpose to arrive at truth, we are brought in touch with the unseen, mighty Intelligence that is working in and through all. The mind of man is brought into communion with the mind of God, the finite with the Infinite. The effect of such communion on body and mind and soul is beyond estimate. In this communion is found the highest education. It is God’s own method of development. ‘Acquaint now thyself with Him’ (Job 22:21), is His message to mankind.” Education, p. 14.

“[Jesus] answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matt. 4:4).

Do we really know what Christ was like? Do we know how He thought? How joyfully did He contemplate the Holy Scriptures? How deep was His communion with His Father through the word? How could He endure a 40 day fast because of the love He had for communion with His Father and meditation on words inspired by His Father God? How deep is Your love? Jesus, how deep is Your love for the Bible? How deeply did You crave righteousness so that no temptation of craving, even for food, could win You over to the devil’s side?

“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.” (Ps. 42:1-5).

“As for me, I will behold Thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with Thy likeness.”(Ps. 17:15).

“The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek Him: your heart shall live for ever.” (Ps. 22:26).

1 Comments:

Blogger Nsubuga Daniel said...

David,
I have read this one and its as good as the others. You will be glad to know that most of what you have on your blog is used in preparation for my Baptism classes I teach every sabbath.

I want to join and say like the psalmist:-
As for me, I will behold Thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with Thy likeness.”

Daniel Nsubuga

10/22/2007 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home